The history of The Anchor Church dates back to 1942 when Rev. Guy Smith and his family were invited to speak to a small group who were meeting in a home on Beaumont Street. The membership grew and in 1943 a former fire station located on Monroe Street was purchased, renovated and dedicated. As the congregation continued to grow, it became necessary to look for a larger facility.
Pastor Smith located property at 1018 Marietta Street, the site of the former Stemler School. The remains of the school were removed and a beautiful church was dedicated in 1950. Pastor and Sis. Smith devoted 47 years of their life to bring the church to that established level.
January 9, 1988 opened a new chapter for the church with the appointment of Rev. Larry Farris as Pastor. As the congregation grew, a larger facility was needed. The former Friendship Pottery was purchased in June 1999 and the first service was held on December 12, 1999.
Another chapter was opened in the church in the Fall of 2007 when Pastor Farris felt God speak to him to return to his home town in Clarksville, Arkansas to help in the revival that God has planned for that city. Before their return to Arkansas, Rev. Larry Farris and his lovely wife Sharon passed the mantle to Rev. Aaron Bounds and his wife Cyndi.
Under their leadership the church continues to grow and expand in new areas and ministries. We have daughter churches in Crooksville, McConnelsville, Glouster and Cambridge with many more to come. We are passionate about taking the gospel to everyone and support missionary endeavors throughout the world. In 2012 we were able to establish a missionary work in the region of Peten, Guatemala with a full time pastor, Noe Barrientos.